Thursday, April 22, 2010
What's in a Name
What's in a name? Saying that line reminds me of an old Rodney Dangerfield joke about how he got his name. Of course, he is making fun of his name, but it gets me thinking; What IS in a name? I will be the first to stand up and say I am very proud to be a McGee. But why? Would I say the same if I were a Smith, or Brown, or anything else? I know where my pride in my name comes from. It comes from my father, the one person in my life that I set my own accomplishments against. And I hate to say it, but I fail miserably in that comparison. I am not a father yet, and I have time to make up areas on him, but when I speak my last name, it is my father that I speak of and represent. Now, my comparisons are not spiritual, for my father is not a spiritual man. We are only speaking of things like financial intelligence, job accomplishments, etc., and I know that these are not the most important things in life, but they do matter. My father will leave a legacy in my sisters and myself, one that I hope I can live up to. There is something more important than this, though. I am my father's son, but I am also my Father's son. That is a name everyone should be proud of. We who believe and trust in Christ's name have a very powerful name to represent. This is where are legacies will come in. I want my children to be proud to be McGees, but I want them to be even more proud to be children of an Almighty God. If I provide nothing more than a loving home and family, and a deep love for Christ, then I will consider my life a success, no matter how far up the corporate ladder I climb. So, what's in a name? To be a McGee, a son's pride in his father, to be a child of God, EVERYTHING!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment